I started doing this years ago, and rarely miss a day. Why do I like doing it? It’s simple, easy, affordable, and aside from detoxing it also has numerous other benefits. What am I talking about?
Lemon water, baby.
I’m not talking about a little splash of bottled (aka. fake) lemon juice in your water at some point during the day. I’m talking about freshly squeezed lemon juice in your water as soon as you wake up each morning.
You may already be doing it – if so, right on. You’re treating your body well. Read on for the Why & How of morning lemon water. The extensive list of benefits may surprise you.
- Helps the liver/body flush out toxins that have accumulated during the night
- Promotes stomach acid secretion, which leads to better digestion (better digestion = better health overall!)
- Contains vitamin C: good for the immune system, for our skin and joints, and for its antioxidant properties
- Balances the body’s pH – even though it’s an acidic fruit, lemon has an alkalinizing effect in the body (and disease thrives in an acidic environment)
- Has antibacterial properties; helping to fight harmful bacteria in the digestive tract
- Helps reduce bloating and gas, while promoting healthy bowel movements – what could possibly make you happier than this? To poop is to detox.
As soon as you wake up, head to the kitchen (well, use the bathroom first if you need to). Pour a large glass – at least 2 cups volume – of room temperature or warm water. Squeeze a quarter or half lemon into the glass. Drink ‘er up. It’s that simple.
Our bodies are so dehydrated first thing in the morning, after not having fluid during all those hours spent sleeping. That’s why it’s so important to have water (and plenty of it) as soon as you wake up – before coffee, before breakfast, before anything.
So here’s something to try, if you’re not already doing it. Stock up your fridge with lemons, and commit to having morning lemon water every day for at least a week – or two, or three, you decide. Let me know how it goes!
Disclosure: Some of the links throughout AlexJamesWellness.com are affiliate links. If you make a purchase via one of these affiliate links, I receive a small commission. Please note I only ever recommend products and services that I personally love, and the price remains the same to you whether you purchase via my link or not. Thank you for your support!